Saturday, July 14, 2012

Nice-ophobia

Be super nice to a girl, and she’ll run away from you.
 
That’s, uhm unfortunately, most of the time, TRUE.

Personally, I don’t like it really when a guy acts as though we have a sweet and intimate connection. He must know when to ring me up or not. He must understand that with the nature of our job, we long for a normal sleeping pattern. Whether I’m interested or not, it doesn’t make any difference.

FYI, crews (not in general) hate hearing their phone rings. You’d probably wonder why. Well, when not in flight status, we’re usually sleeping at home or seizing the mall hours. We technically have at least a one day off and two days or more home reserve in between flights and off (e.g. flight - flight - reserve - flight - reserve - off - reserve - flight). But since it’s unusual to get upgraded from reserve to flight status (only in emergency cases wherein crew fails to show up on her scheduled flight), we consider reserve status as off, and we sneak out from our very own home. So when scheduler (one who works in our company’s scheduling department, do i have to say it?) rings us up while on reserve status, it means we have to get ready and transform like a superman to rescue that flight. We are expected to be at the airport the fastest way we can. And I’ve done that. I was given fifteen minutes from the time I got up from bed to boarding the arcraft. Imagine if we were somewhere else and we got that call… That spells terrible. Who loves that? Another reason, worse than the first, why we hate getting phone calls is this… We forgot to set our alarms for an early morning flight and so we’re still in deep sleep and all the crews are already about to board the aircraft without us! That means DELAYED FLIGHT, REPRIMAND, ANGRY PILOT, IRRITATED PASSENGERS, a complete MESS. Who loves that? By the way, it happened to me. I swear it’s the worst feeling.

So going back, he who cares, must know when to thumb my digits, or when to just give me a day or two to respond to his message. So instead of being super nice, just be super sensitive.

I will only allow one man to treat me as his queen. And that is my king. The rest, just respect my rest period :P

No comments: