Friday, July 22, 2011

A short rewind from my journey. . .

Thanks to workabroad.ph which consistently posts open days for cabin crew recruitment. It was on this site where I found WY which is under I-Rekrut Manpower Agency. Just like most, if not all, other recruitment agency, you have to pass their screening process before they hand you over to the employers. The said agency had not been that strict, so long as you meet all the basic requirements and have completed all the necessary documents, then you’re IN.

Since it’s the agency’s first time to handle WY, they wanted to make sure that everything will run smooth comes the day the delegates from Oman arrive. They even required us to attend a pep talk headed by trainers from WINGS Institute, a flight attendant school. They taught us the basics of how it takes to be part of the team. We learned a lot though from that one-day seminar. During the seminar, we were also informed that the delegates were already on board and about to land in a few hours. That meant we will be screened the next day.

July 6, 2011.
Venue: Century Park Hotel, Badjao Room

I didn’t have to worry about commuting all by myself; I was with my very close friend, *Danica. We took the train. We love the train. We arrived at the hotel 10 minutes before 8. The transformation from yesterday was so evident that everybody looked like flight attendants! Whew. WINGS was a big help. There are about less than 300 aspirants in the same room. After an hour, the delegates finally arrived. *Ms. Lily, *Ms. Sarah, *Mr. Chad, *Mr. Joe (*not their real names) came in and I felt a sudden tickle in my stomach. This is it. They greeted us with a warm smile, except for Mr. Joe. Ms. Lily was so pretty that I caught myself with dropped jaw as I was staring her.

After a short talk, the recruitment agency gave us our number and escorted us to another room for the first stage. In all fairness to the team, everything was well-organized.

First stage: Personality Test

This stage was divided into two parts: (a) height and weight measurement and (b) grooming test done by Ms. Lily. Some failed on the first part (height less than the requirement, while some height and weight are not proportional). If you passed the first part, you will be asked to be seated outside the other room where Ms. Lily was. When it was my turn, I noticed how she observed me from the time I entered the room (catwalk) till I took a seat. I greeted her with a smile, and expressed my appreciation of her beauty. I told her that she looks like one of my Barbie dolls. Upon hearing that, I saw how her face turned into elated mode. I think she liked me =) She asked me few questions and took a close look at my skin.

After that process, we were asked to wait at the Badjao room again. Since there are a lot of applicants who aren’t yet done with the first stage plus the fact that we couldn't deny the growling sound of our stomach, Danica and I decided to grab a bite at Chowking since it was already past lunch time. We took our food inside the room and ate there while waiting for the results. Some numbers from the first batch were already being called. It was a nerve-wracking moment. Danica and I found ways to kill our tension. We sang the bubblegum song (and you guys know how crazy that sounds). While in the middle of the song, our batch’s result was being announced. My eyes were half peeped when I heard my number. We were almost 20 in our batch and only 5 of us were called. Seesh. I was so happy but at the same time I felt sad, Danica’s number wasn’t included. And that meant, she had to leave the hotel alone. That was an awful feeling. We kissed each other goodbye. And I was moved to the next row, a bunch of applicants who passed the first stage. We were less than a hundred, I think. That was roughly 30-35% only of the total applicants that morning. I thanked God for the favor. I know, looking at my co-applicants, it was all by His grace that I made it there. But that didn’t end there...


Second stage: English Test

We then proceeded to the English test. It was a simple 135 exam. We only have to get 50% of it. Multiple choice for the first part, mostly grammar check, reading comprehension, and an essay. We were given two hours but everyone finished in an hour. The result of the exam will be announced the next day so everyone were endorsed to the next stage, which was the swimming test.


Third stage: Swimming test

5PM, and we were off the to the pool area. Good thing I had my swimming lessons few weeks before this American-Idol-like screening. Lol. We were only asked to swim 3 feet long. We sincerely thought it’s going to be 20 feet long. But maybe because we were running out of time. Whatever their reason, praise God (He knew I’m not a good swimmer). It wasn’t difficult. I passed this stage, though some got eliminated on this even after giving them three chances. I felt disappointed for them. Maybe they really can’t swim at all.

It’s almost sunset, we were advised to come back the next day but in a different location. This time, it will be held in Hyatt Hotel. And we called it a day. It wasn’t my first time to ride the train alone, but I felt sad. Should Danica hadn’t been eliminated, I would be a lot happier. I had no strength to reminisce or think of tomorrow’s next stage, so I slept all the way from Manila to Pampanga.


July 7, 2011
Hyatt Hotel, Le Salon room

As I was heading to Manila, I found myself in tears. I couldn’t explain. I’m close to what I’ve wanted. But I wasn’t completely feeling happy. Questions in mind like, why did I have to do this alone (I have 3 friends who applied as well, one is Danica and the other two, for some reasons, trusted the other agency). Fast forward, I arrived at the hotel minutes before 8. I went straight to the powder room to check on my makeup. I wasn’t confident of my makeup since it was me who experimented on it.

When I went up, I saw about 40 girls seated, familiar faces from yesterday. Le Salon’s room has four dining tables with 10 chairs in each. I took a seat closest to the door. When the big boss from the agency arrived, he gave us a big hand and congratulated us from making it this far. He mentioned that if he were to decide, he would not proceed to the next elimination round and would hire everybody. Elimination. We stared at one another with confusion and uneasiness, like ‘Oh no. We’ll have to face yesterday’s challenge again’. The nail-biting experience. Whew. So there they go, Oman delegates entered the scenario.


Fourth Stage: Group dynamics

We were grouped into four (as there were four tables), with 11-12 members each. Then we were given a topic (10 qualities of flight attendant) to discuss in ten minutes. The four employers picked a group that they would observe. Basically, the employer would observe the applicants on how they participate. In our group, it was Mr. Joe, the ever-serious gentleman.

“Time starts now.” I wasn’t talking during the first half, for the most part, I cannot interrupt. I know that I was being observed at that moment, and if I continue staying silent, the chance of getting eliminated will most likely be my fate. So I started sharing my ideas, asking if everyone agrees to it, and suggested some things. Grabbing the last few minutes, it seemed like I talked too much. “Time’s up!” Crap. Crap. Crap.

My tips: (1) participate, but do not overdo it, I suggest you say something every 3 minutes; (2) never interrupt; (3) always smile and appreciate your team’s ideas. After all, you are being judged according to your participation, how you deal with the rest of the group, it doesn’t matter if you do not have the wittiest idea.

We were asked to wait in a small room for the result. After half an hour of agony, the results were announced. Some held hands, others closed their eyes, while some did breathing exercise. But I’m sure everyone’s uttering a prayer. So when the big boss from the agency started to mention numbers who got in, the tension became more intense. I could see and feel how sorry he was that some had to be eliminated. And I was one of that ‘some’. Yes, I didn’t make it to the final stage. As from what I heard, they had panel discussion followed by the final interview. There were 26 girls who made it up to the medicals. And they are now just waiting for their visas.

That was it. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t cry. Of course I did. While still in the room, I saw some girls who were already in tears. But it wasn’t as soon as I began to realize that pain. I even went to Pasay after that to have my medical exam done as a requirement for another local airline. Yes, I was part of that local airline batch when I sneaked out to attend an international OD. Going back, on my way to Pasay, I sent my mom a regret text. She immediately replied with words of encouragement and told me that everything is all well. And that’s the only time I cried. It’s really different when you get things like these from your family. They are my strength, at the same time, my weakness.

I know, God has a bigger plan for me. =) I am still and always confident on this.

Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

No comments: